Pages

Total Pageviews

Saturday 16 June 2012

Questions about author pages


The first round of editing of Mine to Avenge is finally complete - all fifty chapters. I didn’t initially realize that there would be more than one, but my editor is very thorough. She wants to read it all through again to make sure nothing has slipped through or been overlooked.
I am also not sure now about my original decision for the cover. The publishers have made a darker toned version of the first cover at my request to choose between the two but it is very difficult to decide. I have shown it to some colleagues who have been evenly divided over which one they prefer.
I have also begun looking at on going marketing and promotional tools and the one at the top of my list at the moment that has been recommended is the Facebook author page (or book page). I am very appreciative of the many helpful articles I have been reading about these pages from more experienced and seasoned writers, but am still a little confused about the best time to set up such a page. Should I be doing it now and charting the journey to the novel on the time line, much as I have been doing with this blog? Should I wait until I have a cover design? Or should I wait until the book is actually out? And which is best - the author page or the book page - and why?
I think maybe the best way to find the answers to these questions is to explore some author pages and see how different authors have approached it. Please let me know of any well done author pages you know of - or even your own. I would love to learn first hand what works and what doesn’t.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Kerry. Someone on Twitter recommended I set up a FB author page (I have a social one). I thought about it but I've decided to leave it for the moment. This is because my novel's not finished yet & I'd rather have something I can promote in its entirety. I think it's definitely the way to go though to promote your work. I like the author pages I've seen. So my advice would be give it a go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for that feedback Elaine. I am thinking I should at least wait until I have a cover though. I thought I did have the cover fixed but it is undergoing a few changes after I changed my mind about a few things.

    ReplyDelete